New York State Reading Teachers Association (NYSRA)
Mission Statement: To promote a literate, democratic society valuing lifelong learning for its diverse cultures.
- The New York State Reading Association is an affiliate of the International Reading Association comprised of more than 30 local reading councils including the Rochester Area Literacy Council, and having a total membership of over 2,500 educators from across New York State.
- The organization includes classroom teachers, librarians, reading specialists, parents, college educators, and researchers.
- Each year, educators from across the state come together at the annual conference.
- Throughout the duration of this conference, there are discussion groups, workshops, and featured speakers from around the country.
- In addition to putting on an annual conference, NYSRA has hard copy as well as digital publications, acts as an advocate for literacy issues, and supports various committees that deal with a variety of issues.